Bonito has won Brazil’s “eco destination of the year” 9 years running now and yet it is still relatively unknown to the foreigners who flock to the nearby Pantanal. Here the landscape is completely different- rolling hills, waterfalls, and caves rather than the flat wetlands and open spaces of the Pantanal. However you can still see a a great deal of wildlife here and for those who like snorkelling, floating, rapelling, rafting and diving as well, this is a perfect place to find it all.
1. The Lagoa Misteriosa- at least 220 metres deep and they are still counting!
2. Floating and snorkelling down the Rio da Prata
3. The buffet feast at lunchtime at the Fazenda Agua Viva (shared with resident hyacinth macaw and friendly toucan)
4. The crystal clear blue of the Lago Azul
5. The waterfalls and fish in the Rio do Peixe
6. The wonderful picanha steak in the Tapera restaurant
7. Honey from Maria’s farm (owner of Pousada Galeria Artes)
8. All the wonderful crafts at the Casa do João
9. Boca- my wonderful driver/guide to everything that is good in Bonito
10. All the wonderful pousadas in town and particularly Pousada Galeria Artes and Pousada Olho d’Água